Breaking News
Loading...
Wednesday 17 April 2013

Reading RSS Feeds on Windows 8

In my on-going efforts to explore alternatives to Google Reader and familiarize myself with Windows 8 applications I recently tried using Bing News on my Lenovo Yoga 13. This week the app was updated and it now allows me to add any RSS feed whether it's featured by Bing or not. Once you've added a feed by entering the URL for the feed, you can put it into a category in the app. It's important to note that you have to enter the feed URL not the site URL in order to add a subscription (it's kind of like the early days of Google Reader and I hope that Microsoft changes that in the future).

What I like about the Bing News app is the clean and full layout of articles as I browse through them. What I don't like is that in order to share a story or bookmark a story, I have to open the "charms" menu then select share then select the app through which I want to share the story. It's not difficult, but it adds one more step than I typically use in Feedly or Flipboard. Overall, it's not a bad app but I'm still more inclined to use Feedly's Chrome app when I want to browse through my RSS feeds on my Windows 8 computer.


0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Toggle Footer