Breaking News
Loading...
Friday 10 August 2012

Animated Drought Map

A couple of days ago when I walked into my local farmers union store (it's where I buy dog food, I'm not starting a farm) I noticed a sign explaining that feed prices had increased as a result of drought conditions in the midwest and Great Plains states. This morning on CNN I found this animated map of drought conditions in the US since January 2012. Press play on the map and it scrolls through the areas of the United States that have experienced drought conditions this year. The map also shows the intensity of the drought conditions.

Applications for Education
You could use this animated map to prompt your students to think about and research the direct and indirect environmental and economic effects of drought. Students can research the impact on the places that are experiencing the drought conditions as well as the indirect impact on places far away from the location of the drought.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Toggle Footer